T-7 days until Easter Sunday! And that means you’ve probably seen rows and rows of beautifully colored PEEPS lining the shelves of your neighborhood stores.
This post will be short and sweet– just like our delicious, marshmallow, sugar-coated friend, the Peep! For those of yall participating in the Positive Eats: Give up the Guilt 40-day Challenge, you will be delighted to learn that Peeps not only contain abundous (yea ok that’s not a word, but it just felt right:)) amounts of carbohydrates (aka ENERGY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), but Peeps also contain PROTEIN. Say what?? How is it so?
Well here are the facts:
- Peeps are marshmallows covered in colorful sugar crystals.
- Marshmallows are made from primarily gelatin and sugar (corn syrup too, but we’ll lump that in as a sugar)
- Sugar is a carbohydrate, and where we can obtain lots of ENERGY!!!!!!!!
- Gelatin is a processed version of collagen.
- Collagen is a structural PROTEIN that strengthens connective tissue and makes up about a third of protein in animal bodies. It gives our skin elasticity and strength, which is why as we get older (and produce less collagen), we may get wrinkles.
The math is simple folks: Peeps = Marshmallow = Gelatin + Sugar = Protein + Carbohydrates = Strength + ENERGY!!!!!!!!!!
Now go celebrate!! And for today’s relevant yet irrelevant question: Are you a Peep gobbling machine?? What’s your favorite flavor? Classic Yellow? Chocolate Dipped?